Wednesday, July 20, 2011

More Than an Hour...NOT by Accident

Those of you who follow this rather random blog know by now that I am a runner.  Two of my biggest feats have been running 5 miles by accident and running 6 miles in 6 degrees.

Well, I have a new feat...I ran for 1 hour, 2 minutes and 8 seconds...ON PURPOSE. Plus, it was HOT.

Now, I know that those of you who are not runners are wondering, "Why on Earth would anyone want to run for over an hour on purpose?"

Well, to answer you, I would.  Running is a challenge for me, that's why I run races. 

Usually, I run 5ks but, there was a race in my town and it's a 5 mile race. I was pretty sure that my body could handle 5 miles, but I wasn't sure that my mind would be able to handle it.  I took a practice run and it really felt good and since the race is in my town, so I knew the course.  I registered.

I made three goals for my self.
1) Run the whole 5 miles.
2) Finish in an hour or less, and
3) Not die.

The day of the race was hot, and it starts on a hill.  It was hectic getting my friend, MM, registered, but I felt good at the beginning.  As the race began, I began to feel the heat. And, as is all my races, as soon as the starting gun went off, I was thirsty.

I took water at the aid stations, and by took water I mean that I splashed it on my face. But, I did drink some, and I slowed to give a little girl with Downs Syndrome a high five.

In the end, I did run the whole way and I didn't die.  I finished in 1:02:08, I missed it by that much...

But, I RAN FOR OVER AN HOUR!

I think that's a feat in itself, considering two years ago I couldn't run for 90 seconds! And remember, a year ago, my son was 10 days old.

So, I don't think I will run many 5 mile races, I do prefer the 5k, but you never know.



Finishing Strong


No comments:

Post a Comment