Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Instead of Counting Sheep

So, my car broke down today.

I was headed into Portland and on the expressway my car started to act funny.  It didn't stall, but it seemed to be jerking in the tiniest little bit.  Just before I pulled into the parking garage, it started to make an odd noise.  It sounded like a low pitched whine.

I started to think maybe it was the air filter.  I was due for an oil change ( I have an appointment on Friday), so I thought after I parked, I would get the filter our and shake some crud out of it and see if that helped.

Ah, the best laid plans.

It didn't make it to a parking space.  It stalled out on the ramp.  In the middle of the ramp. With cars behind me and cars coming at me.  I put on my hazards and turned off the car and started it again.  I was able to make it up the ramp and turn. Oh, if I could just get to a space! But, Wednesdays are a really full day in this garage.

It stalled again and I could not get it started.  The hazards were still on but I was going NOWHERE!  Four cars passed me and nobody seemed to give a second thought to the young mom crying her eyes out in the stalled car.

I looked ahead of me and I noticed that there was about enough room in between two cars parked in handicapped spaces.  Not exactly legal, but it would do.  I prayed and started the car, I hit the gas and it went into the "space."

For years, my in laws have paid for AAA membership for my DH and I and I couldn't be happier about it.

The tow truck wouldn't fit in the garage, so a smaller AAA truck (the kind that gives you a jump or changes your tire) came to check out the situation.  The two guys looked under the hood and tried a few things, but couldn't find anything they could easily fix.  They couldn't get the car to go into reverse or drive or anything else.

It was time to push.

The pushed me out of the space, but to get me to the exit, we would have to go up 2 floors or down 5.  So, they tied a strap to the front and dragged me out of the garage and loaded the car onto the tow truck. 

We went to Westbrook to a dealership and the serviceman went to take a look at the car.  He told me that he didn't know when he could get it into the garage, but from the few minutes he looked at the car, it seemed to be the transmission. 

He arranged for the shuttle to bring me home.  While I was waiting for the shuttle, I started to count my blessings:

  • I broke down and was able to park in a safe garage.  Not on the expressway or in the middle of a busy street.
  • I was able to get a tow truck and they arrived within 15 minutes.
  • If it is the transmission, Saturn/GM will pay for half of it (or give us $5000 toward a new vehicle).
  • Bradley was with me and he was calm or asleep most of the time.
This could have been a very bad, bad situation.  But, God kept it from that.

2 comments:

  1. Wooohooo for counting blessins' instead of stressin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of another blessing: I just started a new job, so we have a little more money coming in now.

    ReplyDelete